All about fruitarianism with a long-term fruitarian, Lena
- Concise knowledge summaries of research related to fruitarianism,
- summaries and reports about results derived by scientific method,
- short aggregated definitions and overviews,
- citations related to fruitarianism,
- expert opinions,
- from scientific internet publications, mass media and other seemingly credible online sources, with links.
- Primary sources, like governmental agencies documents and research results published in peer reviewed journals;
- Secondary sources, like scholarly articles and expert reviews;
- Tertiary sources, like encyclopedias, dictionaries, and textbooks.
Top 20 Tags
If people are good only because they fear punishment, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
Zinc is a nutritionally essential mineral needed for catalytic, structural, and regulatory functions in the body.
The RDA (recommended daily allowance) for adult women and men is 8 mg a day and 11 mg a day of zinc, respectively.
Severe zinc deficiency is a rare, genetic or acquired condition. Dietary zinc deficiency, often called marginal zinc deficiency, is quite common in the developing world, affecting an estimated 2 billion people. Zinc deficiency can cause impaired growth and development in children, pregnancy complications, immune dysfunction, and increased susceptibility to infections. Long-term consumption of zinc in excess of the tolerable upper intake level of 40 mg a day for adults can result in copper deficiency.
Zinc bioavailability is relatively high in meat, eggs, and seafood. Zinc is less bioavailable from whole grains and legumes due to the inhibitory effects of phytic acid on absorption of the mineral.