- German language services - lessons, translation, and interpreting.
- Deutschsprachige dienstleistungen - Deutschunterricht, Übersetzung und Dolmetschen.
Hi, I am Lena, a multilingual person and a German language instructor and interpreter in Southern California.
This page would be of interest to you if you are considering me as a teacher or for oral translation of speech in person.
I hope you will hire me to give you an introduction into German grammar and to teach you the ways to think and have a vivid conversations in this language. I love to help beginners to build a solid foundation for certain fluency. All you will need to do to start your progress is to find time for the lessons.
I specialize in introduction into the grammatical structure as well as philosophical beauty of German language, and in training my students to speak standard German (Hochdeutsch) in form of casual dialogues, preparing them to communicate their thoughts and needs in various social situations.
In our lessons we will use current German media, songs, classic literature, children verses, fun dialogues, and will chat in German about life.
Although I adapt my teaching to the individual needs of each person, I maintain clarity by sufficient repetition, concentration on fundamentals, and introduce new elements of speech, integrating them with already known.
My method is based on scientific findings about human memory and my personal experience as a multilingual person who lived in various cultures. Often, I utilize tables, drawings, analogies, and in depth explanations from my future book on German grammar.
If you want to have a person by your side to interpret your conversational partners speech as it happens, I can help you with my fluency in both German and English, as well as my extensive cultural knowledge acquired in Europe and in the United States.
I promise to deliver the oral translation in reasonable speed, with additional explanations upon request. If it suits your situation, I can convey information and intents on your behalf, and provide you with my opinion about the style of communication afterwards.
Additionally, I might be helpful in interpersonal relationships by mediating between culturally and linguistically specific worldviews, and thus aid deeper understanding between partners or among all participants.
In the past I made translations for legal and IT German documents into English, and translating of apps and sites, I still can help you with that.
You can count on my discretion: I will protect your privacy.
Please use the links to prepay services through PayPal with most used payment methods (cards).
To encourage a necessary rhythmical commitment to language learning, I prompt my students to prepay a course, 12 - 48 lessons. I will partially refund your payment only if I decide that I won't be able to serve you well. To test me first, please choose to prepay one introductory lesson (see the table below).
|Courses and Lessons||Academic
|Lessons and Courses|
| - Double Hour Full Course
||48||24||$45||$2,160||8 - 12|
| - Additional Double Hour
| - Double Hour Short Course
|- Additional Double||2||1||$47||$94|
|Introductory Test Lesson (once)||1||$50||$50|
|Double-Hour Interpreting Event||2||1||$50||$100|
* An "academic hour" is defined as 50 minutes.
A double-hour lesson will last 1 hour 45 minutes, including a 5-minute rest break, which is a perfect duration for maintaining deep concentration.
Currently, I offer individual and small-group lessons and courses in coastal Orange County, California, for private and corporate clients:
- Introductory German lesson - 1 academic hour;
- Intense German Course - 10 Hours, in two weekend days;
- Short German Course - 6 double-hour lessons;
- Full German Language Course - 48 academic hours in 24 lessons.
A double academic hour scheduling will save you some time and money and allows for deeper language immersion. The intense course with two consecutive days of 5-hour lessons a day is designed for people who like to move fast.
Usual Course Concentrations:
- German Grammar and Dialogue for Beginners
- Business German Basics for Professionals
- German for Travelers
Motivation to Study Language with an Instructor
The main benefit of having a foreign language teacher is to be consistently inspired by another human being who is interested in your progress.
There are a few more obvious advantages to having a real person helping you individually:
- Language instructor can correct you when needed, until you are doing it right.
- Instructor can adjust the lessons exactly to your needs and save your time.
- Language teacher can give you an overview of the best resources and methods, and warn you about low quality materials and ineffective approaches.
- According to recent studies, people acquire language in person significantly better than from videos and other materials.
Thus, having almost any capable personal language instructor can be beneficial for your in some way. You just need to decide how valuable it is for you, and whether you can afford it.
As someone who learnt to love German in her twenties and lived and studied in Germany for many years, I can provide you with methods of grasping the essence of the language quickly, and of mastering it steadily, - many of which are not obvious to the native speakers.
I started learning German in 1999, and for the intermediate level I went to reputable language schools. First, I studied German in Goethe Institute, then in Berlitz, VHS, and then in Institute for International Communication by Heinrich-Heine University, Düsseldorf. After getting the highest scores in almost all parts of the exam for academic German, duration of which was over 5 hours, I was accepted in a master degree program at the Essen-Duisburg University, where I stayed for one semester, before leaving for the United States.
I am a German national who lived in US for over 7 years. In addition to a few business English courses during my university studies, I finished advanced US college courses for English Composition and Critical Thinking In 2014, as well as Business Law, Screenwriting, Documentary Filmmaking, and other subjects, all with GPA 4.00 in San Diego City College, and was on the Dean's honor list. The results were accepted by the University of California, San Diego as a substitute for academic English exam (TOEFL) in my Master of Science application. During my studies I worked as a legal and IT German-English translator.
I am currently fluent in three languages, and I spoke another two in the past. My academic background is in economics (a 5-year university degree), and I am an independent artist (fine art and filmmaking).
Goethe Institut, Düsseldorf
German Studies, Level B (112 hours), 2002 – 2002
Berlitz Deutschland GmbHDeutsch (German) Level 5 (~50 hours), 2002 – 2003
VHS (NRW, Germany)
Advanced German Language Diploma Preparation (78 hours), 2003 – 2004
Deutsches "Kleines Sprachdiplom" Vorbereitung
Institut für Internationale Kommunikation e. V. (IIK Düsseldorf)
Standard academic German examination training for advanced learners (50 hours), January 2004 – April 2004
Academic German Certificate
(TestDaF) # 016988, 2004, Düsseldorf.
My Possible Limitations
- My degree is not in linguistics, so I hesitate to take students into highest levels of grammar and style, because I feel not qualified.
- I lived mainly in Northern Germany, Dusseldorf area, and can provide only limited help with dialects.
- German is not native to me. Only one of my parents was half-German, and the language was not used in my family or around me in childhood. I still might not know some words, for example, the terms for some kitchen utensils (I don't cook), as well as other terminology specific to certain activities.
- Having been lived outside Germany for the last several years, I wonder sometimes whether I got some words right, even if I used them all the time in the past - things just sound strange sometimes, and I doubt myself. This happens for my other languages as well. I visit Germany, watch the news, talk to my German friends, still think a lot in German, but I have those moments of uncertainty now and then.
- The pace of my lessons could be too fast, I care about your pronunciation and point out your errors, I offer homework, I switch between your speaking, listening and reading activities to keep you alert - please tell me how I could adjust to your temperament.
You should be hiring me not for vocabulary acquisition, but rather for understanding the core of the German language, its grammatical summary, and for a practical insight into the most efficient methods of progressing in it fast as in adulthood.
My Strength and your Benefits
My feel for grammatical structure of languages, combine with my ability to explain it in multiple ways with examples, showed obvious benefit for the language learners, and I am proud of it. I can see German language both as outsider and insider, and this allows me to provide you with a big picture, deepening into fine details.
Additionally, my love for good literature and poetry makes me a passionate language stylist, and you can benefit from it.
My past active participation in German social life and business communication allows me to show you the correct and culturally elevated usage of expressions and phrases.
I love English as well and read good books, and that helps me to build for you a solid bridge from the language you know so well to another often deceivingly similar Germanic family language.
Time for Regular German Lessons
The best recurrence for the lessons, according to my experience, is 2-3 times a week:
- enough time for your brain to process and connect new data,
- and not enough time to forget most of it.
Daytime and Scheduling
To make sure you receive my full attention, I try to have only 2-3 students at the same time period. We usually meet during the day, from around 11 am to 6 pm.
Please message me with your details for current availability.
Currently, for the last couple of years, I live in Huntington Beach, California. I am able to offer German lessons in several additional towns of coastal Orange County:
- Newport Beach, CA
- Costa Mesa, CA
- Fountain Valley, CA
- Santa Ana, CA
- Irvine, CA
- Garden Grove, CA
- Westminster, CA
- Seal Beach, CA
- Cypress, CA
If you have no private office or other suitable space for studies, we can meet in private library rooms or other rented offices.
If you are outside of my area, I can conduct the scheduled lessons over the internet (Skype, Hangouts).
Thank you for considering me. Please, text me for scheduling and questions:
+1 (323) 686 - 1771
Or use a simple contact form on this site.
Please tell me about your wishes and availability.
Looking forward to hearing from you!