My finished artwork I leave unframed, so you can decide how to present it. Almost always, I make the edges presentable as well, and in some cases the work call for being exhibited with exposed edges.
The size of unframed artwork relates to the surface dimensions of a single piece that itself might be a part of a set (e.g. of a diptych). Sizes of artwork grounds I use range from miniatures to wall painting and drawings over 30 inches.
The size groups are arranged by the longest dimension - height or width:
- Miniature artworks - fine art in extra-small size - are under, about, or a little over the letter or A4 sizes - less than 12 inches (~30 cm) .
- Standard - over 12 to 20 inches (~30-50 cm).
- Large - over 20 inches (50+ cm).
The size of each artwork will be given on its page.
Special Sizes of Art Grounds
Cotton Rag Paper
Loose sheets of 100% cotton French and Italian watercolor paper sheets usually come in Imperial sizes.
- 1/1 Full Imperial is ~
30 × 22 inchesor
76 × 56 cm,
somewhat smaller than metric A1 (
841 × 594 mmor
33-1/8 × 23-3/8 inches).
- 1/2 Half Imperial is ~
22 × 15 inchesor,
a little smaller than A2 (420×594 mm or 16-1/2 x 23-3/8 in).
- 1/4 Quarter Imperial is ~
15 × 11 inches,
comparable to but smaller than
420 × 297 mmor
16-1/2 × 11-3/4 in).
- 1/8 Imperial is ~
11 × 7.5 inches, a bit narrower than Letter ANSI A (
279.4×215.9 mm), and shorter and less narrower than
297 × 210 mmor
11-3/4 × 8-1/4 inches).
- 1/16 Imperial is ~
7.5 × 5.5 inches, close to metric
148 × 210 mmor
5-7/8 × 8-1/4 inches).
Other useful sizes:
A0 size (
841 × 1188 mm or
33-1/8 × 46-3/4 in) is big: nearly
3 × 4 feet.
Metric measurements are used in most countries in the world, the important exceptions being USA and Canada.
Metric paper sizes are also known as:
- SI (Système international (d'unités), The International System of Units), or
- DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung, the German Institute for Standardization).