About me, Lena Nechet, L∃N∀
Informal and personal information about me, Lena: my self-description, my values and origins, and selected autobiographical stories from childhood through adult life.
The meaning of my art signature is my first name in alternative symbols. The short form of my real name is Lena, the only one I use, and
L∃N∀ is my signature art seal. ∃∀ - are math signs, which mean "exists"
∃ and "for all"
When I started using my signature online, there was no safe to use Unicode character with a line above (logical "not") for the sign
∀, "for all" - and thus the meaning changed from "exist not for all" to almost the opposite, which I find amusing - hope you do too!
My last name, Nechet, means "odd number" in Ukrainian, like -1, 1, 3, 5, 7, ... - integers that cannot be divided by 2 exactly. It is my birth name.
- Where do you find meaning in your life?
- What are you capable of achieving?
- When do you feel truly alive?
- What is your passion?
- Whom do you love?
- Who are you?
- And now?
The first 7 defining words (nouns) I would choose for myself should probably be:
- Artist - an abstract fine art painter and portraitist, enchanted by photography and videography. I always knew I will paint, but it took a couple of life-threatening events to make me drop almost everything else and dare to dive into the madness of purposeless creation. I am obsessed with composition and color, have always been.
- Fruitarian - long-term, since 18, which suggests a lot about my lifestyle: predominantly fresh fruit and seeds based vegan diet, environmentally-friendly attitude, avoiding buying too much, etc. I ran large ethical online communities, and still minimally maintain the reorganized Fruitarian's Network. Recently I got a chance to start a small orchard, which still requires some foundational work. Before, I supported wild life protection and paid other people to plant thousands of trees. Now, I have propagated and planted many perennial plants myself. I donate to animal rescue causes and to independent media that educate people about legal changes they can support to make the Earth more life-friendly on a global scale.
- Humanist - who can criticize the hell out of the current humanist manifesto :) I am a secular person with a deity-independent moral code. At 18, I was baptized Orthodox Christian in a long ceremony in an old monastery upon a kind request of my grandmother. Still, I am a life-long non-theist: agnostic in regard to knowledge and atheist in regard to belief - science and character based. I am simply unwilling to be mentally subordinate. I will protect everyone's rights to believe in anything they want though - for the sake of freedom of mind. What do I believe?
- Polyglot - as a multilingual person, I spoke several languages, and this experience made my thinking more independent from grammatical and cultural conditioning, I believe. Now, I am acceptably fluent only in three natural languages I acquired in this order: my second native Russian (Русский), German (Deutsch), and English. I fully understand but speak slower in Ukrainian (Українська), my first native. And I have almost entirely forgotten Spanish (Español), in which I was fluent in late childhood while living in Latin America. The need to set my mind free by verbal expression made me a poet at 13, and I used this tool in each language I knew sufficiently.
- Web Developer - I love internet. I was happy with server programming for several years, regarding it as an art without emotions. I still enjoy it now and then. I like its clear logical structures, immediate results, and the practical application of math. I am painfully aware of the lost of freedom, monopolization, and prevalence of misinformation and junk content on our networks. I try to do my part in fixing it.
- Investor - I started to invest risky and early, as a university student, with currencies and commodities, and later transitioned into mid-term stock trading followed by index funds (ETFs). My degree is in economics, and this is how I used it. Risk-taking gives me thrills, and I need to guard myself from passionate moves. I dislike being in debt though, so I managed to never have any serious liabilities. I believe that financial fluency and access to markets and capital-building instruments are essential rights in a modern society.
- Female - I am a serially monogamous heterosexual woman, who seeks the depth of intellectual and erotic connection with one man at a time. I am rarely physically attracted to anyone, and seldom meet people with whom I see a potential to experience what I want. Nonetheless, mutual love is not only my "drug" of choice: I prioritized it in life decision making. Friendship is of almost the same importance to me, but the gender plays no role. I am not family-oriented. My eroticism is directly connected to person's mind. I never dated casually. Now I am surprisingly happily married, to a guy who also was and stays my friend for years, we laugh a lot.
If I would use only a few adjectives to describe myself, I would choose these additional words:
- Happy - I am quite joyful most of the time, despite everything. If I am not in a blissful state, it is usually because of actual difficulties in my life. If those are bad enough, which happened many times, I still cannot stay sad for too long, it feels like it would be too dangerous for me and would lead to devastating losses. Usually, I soon find ways to force myself out of sadness by action or radical material changes. Luckily for me, I discovered and started practicing prolonged meditations (zazen, pranayama, kundalini, etc.) early in youth and had the time of my life, staring at empty walls.
- Sensitive - in some cases overly so: I used to have an extreme color sensitivity, to the point that I could wear only achromatic clothing for some periods of my life. Once, I painted my walls black, another time - my hair (I am blond). Then I had periods of white walls and attire. Till this day you can notice these tendencies in my clothing and minimal home decoration. On top of that, I can be inexplicably sensitive to some words and especially facial expressions.
- Risky - I can take and handle lots of risk if I know the reason, have considered the range of outcomes, and initiate the action on my own. The problem is, that for the most of my life, I could tolerate the possibility of very bad possible results as well, and a couple of time lived through them. At the same time, I almost never feel adventurous, maybe it is because I am rarely bored and have enough stimulation. However, in some areas, I can hardly tolerate any risk at all: I do not want any fun via scare, I maintain an emergency fund in three forms at all times because I do not want to loose any dignity or health, and so on. I take only few things for granted. I rarely can find comfort connected to dependency, which makes me a challenging partner, On the other hand, it keeps me free from addictive substances. I make it hard to offend me and let it be known: it enables more precious truth coming my way, which decreases my risk to make stupid mistakes or die largely clueless.
- Decisive - in personal matters, I tend to make up my mind quickly and permanently. I do not look back with doubts. I prevent myself from having regrets by ensuring that my process of making decisions is maximally all-factors-encompassing and minimally instinctual (benefiting the species), and does not contradict my intuition; and that I stay true to myself at all times.
- Lonely - somewhat, intellectually. Although I am willing to invest a lot in a friendship with right people, only with a few close friends I can be fully myself, and some of them live far away. In most cases, even among good friends, I need to avoid certain subjects and try filter my humor. I spend lots of my time in solitude, by choice, but deep human connections are absolutely precious to me.
- Concentrated - I can easily focus on something of my choice for hours at a time. Sometimes I worked on projects for weeks, disregarding almost everything else. It can be quite unhealthy, but when I am distracted and cannot continue for a long time, it is almost painful to keep all that information needed to restart in my mind, and very disappointing to forget something important or not to be able to go into the same mindset.
- Intense - my brain demands stimulation and transformation. In silent introspection, it is full of visual and conceptual activity, even my meditations on nothingness are sometimes singularly intense. In conversations, I can be passionately engaged. I attempt to be sincere, even if only in essence, because one always need to filter out irrelevancies. I practiced full truthfulness for many years, but that turned out to be too dangerous. I still believe people deserve kind measured honesty, even if reserved or challenging. Interactions with both smart and kind people energize me more than anything else.
I was able to maintain relative fluency only in three languages at a time. Switching between more languages is not practical for me. Now I use only four natural languages on a weekly basis. But at various times, I was fluent in five in total.
I love you. Я тебя люблю. Ich liebe dich. Я тебе кохаю. Te quiero.
Before I was five, I spoke mainly a Ukrainian dialect and a good Russian. By twelve, I spoke a street Spanish dialect, fast but badly, and my trying to revive it and learn castellano fifteen years later had failed. Now, living in Southern California, I hope to pick up some of it again. With German I started in 1999, and become fully fluent by twenty-eight, and my decent English fluency came around 2010, although I studied it in schools previously, and used as my main language during first years in Germany.
In general, I could be described as partially liberal - for almost any personal choice that is not detrimental to others, and partially conservative - for the most part, fiscally, and definitely for maintaining and building upon what is good, especially for preserving ecosystems (wild life conservation), freedoms, beneficial institutions, cooperation, knowledge, and innovation.
Being a Humanist, I am often asked, whether I believe in nothing.
I do. Nothing is a wonderful concept for me that symbolizes a state of mind from which one can appreciate (or not) everything else. I do believe in emptying my mind to give place for new ideas. Jokes aside, I believe in love, friendship, kindness, cooperation, compassion, brave awareness, self-reflection, critical thinking, purposeful change, beauty of creation, usefulness of scientific method, ever changing life forms, reasonable personal rights and freedoms - to say the least.
Origins × 18
Before 1980s - my family of origin, birthplace, and circumstances.
Changing cultures taught me that people like to check where you came from to reduce their own barrier from your strangeness, and I am all for it. I love people's stories, and here is mine.
Childhood × 10
About 1980s - my early years of life, till the onset of puberty.
Adolescence × 2
About 1990s - after puberty into early youth: my teenage years and early twenties.
Adolescence, growing up, is a transitional stage of physical and psychological development.
Youth × 2
About 2000s - more of my determining years, mid and late twenties into thirties - my life in the West.